Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Valued Princess

“They said I was a valued customer, now they send me hate mail.”
Sophie Kinsella, Confessions of a Shopaholic

When I first heard myself being called a valued customer, I was over the moon. I thought of myself as this unique crowned princess. I imagined myself in all those pretty dresses in the aisle, and being fussed around by those dainty looking CSR's. But my bubble did not last long when I paid my hard earned cash and zoomed ahead only to hear those priceless words again, this time not aimed at me, but some other scrawny looking princess who already held her head up high, it would reach the ceiling.

When I landed a job into Customer Service at Sainsbury's while I finished my MBA degree, I learnt the tricks of the trade. I could mouth those flattering sentences as if saying my night prayers. As I gave my broadest smile, I could see the customers going from drooping shoulders to knights with shining shopping bags. 

Yet, several years later I have still not learned my lesson. As I pass rows of teasing manequins, I can hear them whisper, "You will look amazing my valued customer. Try me" or "Blue suits you. Go for it". I just can't resist the temptation of being a princess even for a fleeting moment when my chin moves up and I walk past gallantly with the shopping bags in tow and yes I smile as I hear those distant words again,"Ma'am, you are a valued customer". 

Wait. Did I tell you about the piece of paper with scary numbers on it that greets me through the post. They say its called a bill, I call it disaster. Well. That's for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment